Saturday, October 10, 2009

LQ X

This is the 10th anniversary of Litquake--San Francisco's annual festival celebrating authors, books, and all things literary.  Some of the Litquake events include poetry readings at Grace Cathedral, a literary North Beach walking tour, Kidquake, Teenquake, erotic readings at the Supper Club, Literary Death Match which pits writers against each other and brings publishers together to award the grand prize, and Litcrawl.

When Dean and I went to the kick-off Black, White, and Read Ball, the first person we bumped into was my former writing instructor and founder of the Grotto--a collective workspace for local writers.  He said I should feel free to send him for review any of my pieces which is a kind gesture for someone who's as busy as he is.

Maybe I believe it because I surround myself with this environment, but I truly believe that one of the things that makes the Bay Area special is that it's so literary.  People are book lovers. There are always book readings, writing classes, lectures, cocktail events...all centering around the written word.  The Free Speech Movement and the Beat Generation were spawned in the Bay Area.

There isn't a better place to be a writer than right here.

No comments:

Post a Comment