Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Bibliophiles

3 years, 17 some-odd books, 6 friends, 3 engagements, 3 marriages, 17 some-odd meals, and a gazillion glasses of wine later, I'm proud to say that our book club is still going strong. Don't quote me on those rough stats.

Book club is just another good reason to hang out with your girlfriends, but what I like most about book club is that it actually forces me to read. 'Forces' is a strong verb with negative connotations, but when we lead such busy lives--baby Charlie, pets, moving, planning weddings all while having professional careers, it's hard to be consistent with your extracurricular activities like reading novels. Our dinners usually amount to more gossip (Do you really think Mackenzie Phillips had sex with her dad?) than literary analysis, but still, I'm burning the midnight oil trying to finish our books on time. So forcing is a good thing. Otherwise, I'd be staring at wedding blogs all night long.

We have a round-robin club whereby each person gets their chance to pick the next book. Our books are mainly general interest fiction with stand-out favorites like Middlesex and Shadow of the Wind. Last night, we discussed Emile Zola's L'Assommoir complemented by a flavorful home-cooked cassoulet. I admit I didn't finish the book in time, but I'm determined to since it's so good.

Next up is my choice. I'm introducing a new genre to the club with mystery writer Agatha Christie's famous 'And Then There Were None' also known as 'Ten Little Indians.'

1 comment:

  1. i've heard excellent reviews of L'Assommoir. that'll be my next fiction read....whenever i get around to reading another novel. i always have good intentions, but the self-help and parenting books always seem to win out! but after reading your post i had an idea: to start a local book club for child development topics. (discussing one chapter per session of course, because something tells me none of the westchester mommies would ever finish the books on time! haha)

    did you end up finishing zola's book?

    ReplyDelete