Friday, October 16, 2009

It's Not My Fault You're Incompetent

I refinanced my mortgage for the third time this summer. I got a great rate and a mortgage payment that's less than most of my friends' rent. Come to think of it, at my age, most of my friends own homes--and my mortgage is certainly much less than theirs.

One of my closing documents was automatic withdrawal from my checking account. My mortgage consultant said it would all be taken care of and not to worry. The first payment would be deducted on September 5th. The day came and went, but no deduction. A few days later I called to make sure something didn't go awry. One of the bankers went through my accounts and said he would make sure to set it up. It did not happen. October 5th came and went and I called my mortgage servicer. The customer service rep immediately identified the problem (The mortgage was under Maria Gacad versus Catherine Gacad which is how all my banking accounts are setup. My full name is Maria Catherine Gacad which has caused me a lifetime of logistical nightmares.). The rep said she would get this corrected straight away and not to worry.

Two months have passed. I have yet to pay for two months worth of mortgage payments and I'm considering not even alerting anyone anymore. It's not my fault. I can only do so much when it comes to telling people to please try and correct the problem. If they don't see fit to correct the problem, then I'll happily collect interest on all the money I'm saving. Sure, I understand that in a few months time that I may have to pay a large lump sum, but so what? That won't be a problem since I'm tucking that money away into a separate account. Besides, I'll argue the hell out of any late fees they plan on charging me.

No comments:

Post a Comment