Sunday, October 11, 2009

Dream Dress or Not

The problem with finding a wedding dress is that you have an idea of what you want, you set aside magazine clippings, but there is no single shop that carries all the styles that you want to try on. So I'm floundering from one hoity-toity boutique to another, making phone calls: "Hi, do you carry the Casablanca Couture line?"

On Saturday, I went to yet another bridal shop to try on dresses. This time it was Bridal Image on 6th Street here in the city. I specifically went there because they carry La Sposa--gorgeous couture dresses designed in Spain. When I got to the store, they had maybe five La Sposa dresses. I was livid.

I felt sorry for my attendant as I went bridezilla on her. "Look, I don't need you to show me a bunch of random dresses. I know what I want. I wanted to try on several La Sposa dresses but of course you don't carry any of them."

I pointed at the posters they had on their walls. "This one? How about this one? I mean, seriously, if you barely carry any of their dresses, then don't disguise yourself as a La Sposa retailer."

I was on the verge of walking out when the owner came to prevent potential business from walking away. "We don't carry the La Sposa dresses you want, but let me see if I can help."

"None of these floofy QuinceaƱera dresses work for me. Do you understand? I'm getting married in 100 degree weather. I'm four feet tall. I weigh 80 pounds. I want a sweetheart neckline, form-fitting, casual, elegant. Got it?"

She brought one over that met my criteria. Finally, someone was listening. I started to warm up. "Yes, I guess I can try that one on. That one, too. Ok, yes, that works."

Before I went into the dressing room, there was a whole rack of bridesmaid dresses. I eyed a silk chiffon dress in lime green. "Can I try this one on, too? It's pretty."

The dress-fitting experience didn't go too badly. The bridal gowns were fine, but I didn't love any of them. They were all $1,000.

I tried on the green bridesmaid dress for kicks and every woman in the dressing area said how nice I looked. It was exactly the style I wanted and it could be ordered in white or ivory.

"What do you think?" I asked my attendant for her opinion.

"Wow! That's the one."

"I know," I blushed.

"It's only $100."

I made my purchase, but walked out with serious buyer's remorse. What if it's too simple? It's not a wedding gown. It's a fucking bridesmaid dress.

So the search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment