Sunday, August 9, 2009

Wedding Highlights

The first thing I did when I started wedding planning was to document the most memorable things from weddings I'd gone to. I did it in rapid-fire fashion--whatever came to my head and jotted my thoughts down on paper.

Vicky + Brian - slideshow video
Cristina + Allan - Allan's letters, the reception speeches
Tracy + Ronan - singing at church, bussing to the reception, harp performance
Steph + Kit - rehearsal dinner, dancing
Therese + Ronnie - family
Chavonta + Daniel - sparklers
Kristen + Dean - brunch
Sam + Brett - cocktail hour, after-party, safari
Maria + Peter - bonfire
Erin + Ryan - amazing food

Notice I didn't remember flowers or color schemes or favors. Notice I didn't mention a single open bar. Granted, I'm going to have an open bar at my wedding, but this should not be the key take-away. The key take-aways for me were Allan's thoughtful handwritten letters to each of his wife's bridesmaids, Allan's little brother's speech that made me burst into tears, the talented French family singing throughout the wedding mass.

The reason I wanted to remember these things is so I could focus on what I think is memorable and what matters. I honestly don't think people are going to hone in on the fact that I don't have $1,000 worth of floral arrangements or a $500 three-tiered cake. They do not matter. I hope people will think of our wedding as a weekend getaway filled with fun activities without the pomp and circumstance. Another insight was how much fun I've had outside of the wedding (like the rehearsal dinner and the next day brunch). Again, another vote for casual, low-key, relaxed, and intimate.

No comments:

Post a Comment