Monday, August 17, 2009

Fooled You

Dean's co-worker had a pool party this past weekend. Dean forwarded me the Evite a while back, "Baby, let's mark this in our calendar. Should be a fun time." I ignored it, hoping it would go away.

When Saturday came around, I whimpered, "Do I have to go?"

I used to be really social. I liked going to events--even by myself. I wanted to meet new people. I was trying to find my soul mate. Now that I've found him, I don't want to meet new people. I don't want to hang out with his friends. I'm old. I'm from this area. I have a lot of friends here. I have a lot of connections. The thought of mingling with strangers makes my skin crawl. I should be going out to brunch with the gazillion friends I already have. I should be entertaining at home. I should be getting ready for Burning Man, planning my wedding. I'm stressed enough as it is.

But I went reluctantly. To Walnut Creek, the burbs...where traffic getting back into the city is horrific.

When we arrived at the party, I scowled. It was a bunch of twenty-year-olds gathered around a hookah and a keg. I rolled my eyes. It's beyond my understanding when Dean thinks he can set his friends up with mine. Like any of my friends would enjoy this. Annoyed, I went over to the dinner table where there were munchies...Chex Mex, Ruffles, bean dip...the type of stuff college students serve at parties. It wasn't my scene. It wasn't my crowd. I sat down quietly on the patio furniture and tried to put on a smile.

But Dean's friends were nice. They came over and chatted with me. They made sure I had a drink. One of the hosts (also the owner of the home) commented, "I can't believe I'm 34-years-old and having a party like this."

I gawked, "You're 34? I'm 34, too. I thought I was the only one here in my thirties!" We proceeded to talk about real estate and the housing crisis. He told me about his loan modification. I told him about my work.

Then when the drinking/relay races got underway, I was giggling and heckling the teams along. I was surprised at how much fun I was having.

I'm often very snooty and set in my ways. It's surprises like these that put my opinions in perspective. Saturday was a fun day in the sun. And the weekend ended with another surprise when Dean kicked my ass in chess. I couldn't believe it.

"I thought I was so much smarter than you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment