Monday, August 3, 2009

Project Managing My Wedding

Now that I've got my venue booked, I feel like everything's falling into place. It's a hotel so I don't have to find our guests lodging. There's a restaurant onsite so they're taking care of the food and bevvies. I don't have to deal with rentals of tables, chairs, linens. Our guests can take advantage of the two pools, the spa, the Vespas for rent or the bicycles you can ride around the complex.

One thing I'm struggling with when it comes to my wedding are the guests. I've got a huge Filipino family. It doesn't help when family members come up to me during family events and ask me if they're invited, if they've made the list, when should they book their flights. It's costing me $150 per person so a family of four is $600. Dean and I make good money, but we're not rich. And we certainly can't afford a gazillion families of four. As for friends, I read in a wedding book that you should invite the friends who know your parents. I like that. I think that's a good tip. Another friend of mine said she only invited people if she had actually talked to them within the past year. I like that, too. I struggled a lot with people who had invited me to their weddings, especially the ones I went to and enjoyed. I felt like I needed to invite those same people even if I don't really talk to them anymore. But a friend of mine talked me out of that. She said, "Look, you didn't ask to be invited. They wanted you there and you went. Your wedding is smaller, more intimate, and you've got a huge family!"

Next up are the fun things. I want the very best DJ. I put a deposit down on one, but still searching just in case. The photographers I've tapped are heavily discounting their rates because they all want to capture a one-of-a-kind wedding at the Ace Hotel in Palm Springs. How will we design the invitations? How can I force my little cousin to do a hip-hop routine during the reception? Should I have my dress made? What words can I use in a letter to persuade my favorite priest growing up to come to my wedding and officiate? Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment