Tuesday, December 8, 2009

You Get What You Pay For

Yelp, I love you.  I swear by you.  What other web site gives straightforward reviews on bars, restaurants, stores, places of interest...you name it.  I couldn't be the social butterfly I am without you.

But last night's Unwrapped Yelp party was a fucking disaster.  While the event was free, it was by invite only.  I envisioned a celebration of a select group of people.  Ummm, I think all of San Francisco and its neighboring counties were invited.  It was held at the Westin St. Francis in Union Square on the coldest night of the year.  The line wrapped (almost) completely around the block, meaning we had to cross two corners to finally get through the door.  It was jam-packed like a rock concert.  

So not fun.  I do not enjoy being pushed around by overzealous crowds making a beeline for the very few food stations.  I would rather pay for an expensive meal, a bottle of wine, and some serenity.  When you organize an event for thousands of people, get your act together!

I wrote a nasty review about the event on Yelp today.  In their defense, their organizer responded that there are obviously going to be challenges when entertaining 2500 people.  As much as I hated the event, I do have to say...that's good customer service.  I won't be attending anymore Yelp parties, but thank you for your service.

No comments:

Post a Comment