Monday, December 21, 2009

Drip, Drip, Drip

You know how the models own their quirky traits. Like Cindy Crawford and her mole. Lauren Hutton and the gap between her two front teeth. Or Padma Lakshmi's scarred arm. It's cute. It's what makes them unique. Well, I've got this quirky trait called hyperhydrosis. It's so not cute. I sweat a lot, especially underneath the armpits. It caused me a lifetime of embarrassment. And it was expensive having to dry clean silk blouses.

Several years ago, a friend told me about Botox to help control the sweating. Luckily, my health insurance Kaiser covers the Botox procedure. The dermatologist draws a grid on each armpit, then injects the Botox. It lasts exactly six months. During that time, I don't sweat. I don't wear deodorant. I haven't worn deodorant in years. It's a lifesaver. When the six months are up, I suddenly start sweating up a storm which results in a frantic call to Kaiser.

Well fucking shit, my dermatologist is on vacation. Apparently, they won't switch me to someone else. I must go to her. So now I have to wait three weeks for an opening in her schedule. Until then, I am dripping!

No comments:

Post a Comment