Sunday, November 15, 2009

Filipinos for Pacquiao

I had lunch with Daniel today and he mentioned watching Precious last Friday, too. He said his wife called while he was making his way to the theater, "I think every Black person in Dublin is here." The theater was packed.

I said, "Oh kinda like how every Filipino was watching the Pacquiao fight on Saturday?"

I'm not into sports. I'm certainly not in to boxing. But this much-hyped Pacman, pound-for-pound the best boxer of our time has gotten me just as excited as Dean watching Monday Night Football.

It's such a joy to watch someone from my homeland win. Seriously, what is the Philippines known for besides political corruption and eating dog?

Someone asked me this weekend. "They really eat dog in the Philippines? It's on the menu? Do you know what kind of breed you're eating?"

"Ummm, no silly. It's not like the fish of the day. You can't dine on pug or french bulldog. They're mangey dogs off the street. They're mutts."

The best thing about Pacquiao is how he's united a country that has been completely devastated by the typhoons. Filipinos around the world are singing the national anthem, rooting for this guy at the MGM in Vegas. I finally had something to talk to my Dad about besides random chit-chat.

Pacquiao vs Mayweather. BRING IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment